With November’s list of sites running Magento, I thought it would be fun (don’t judge me) to look at how many of them were still using the default favicon.
This was a pretty easy process: for each store, I retrieved the favicon and calculated the MD5 hash of it. I then compared it with the MD5 hash of the Magento favicon .
Out of the 3414 sites found built on Magento, I found that 362 of them were still using the default favicon.
Now, I know that it’s likely that some of these sites are demo stores for popular Magento Connect products. However, we are still looking at over 10% of the stores that I found. This is a good deal of Magento developers that are a bit lax when taking their stores live…
Here’s a sample of the sites found to still be using the Magento favicon.
- www.magestore.com - rank 52,581 - Magento module and theme developer.
- www.edgeteamsports.com - rank 456543 - Sportswear provider
- gotronics.com - rank 758111 - Mobile repair services.
- anglingdirect.co.uk - rank 252845 - Fishing tackle and kit
- watsons.com - rank 339559 - Family leisure
Oopsy, I also spied a couple of Magento Enterprise stores:
- www.helti100.no - rank 9=37700 - Birthday toys, gifts and decorations
- www.365wine.com - rank 649238 - Wine seller
Just thought I’d share that snippet with you.
Next week, I’ll be looking at the default locales used on Magento stores. Follow me on twitter to hear about it.